The modern show ring hunter’s roots were established in Europe when gentry rode across the countryside hunting for game, often aided by dogs used to track the prey. The horses were necessary to carry their riders many miles over the varied terrain of the countryside in pursuit of their game, often negotiating the creeks, ditches, walls, and fences they encountered along the way. Although somewhat recreational from its beginning, the task of the working hunter became less rugged and more refined and competitive, thus the show ring hunter was born.
Subjectively judged, the modern show ring hunter must still exhibit the traits desired of a good field hunter— calm disposition, good manners, smooth gaits, steady way of going, and pleasant and efficient jumping ability— but must do so with style, presence and superior technique. Conformation, athleticism, disposition, and jumping form all combine to define a winning show ring hunter. A wide range of divisions and classes is offered for hunter riders in today’s show ring, both over fences and on the flat. Additionally, hunter classes exist for virtually every breed of horse or pony and for any level of rider. Recently, a new international-level class was created with the goal of bringing tradition and basic riding principles back to the sport of showing hunters. The International Hunter Derby tests a horse’s keenness, athleticism, and handiness as it negotiates obstacles typically encountered while galloping in the open field. Source: United States Equestrian Federation
Hunter Jumper - General Information
- Hunter Jumper - Foundation
- Hunter Jumper - Futurities
Designed to identify the most promising five and six-year-old show jumping prospects competing in the United States. Developed in cooperation with the International Jumper Futurity.Hunter Jumper - National Associations
- Hunter Jumper - Shows - International
- A large show jumping and dressage event held in the Netherlands.Offering a yearly hunter/jumper schooling and trillium show circuit. Schedule, programs, results, and contacts. CANADAAnnual championship international show jumping. Held in December. Contact details, newsletter.
Classic Hunter and Jumper show held in Alberta, Canada. Includes history, horse program, and tournament information.
Classic Hunter and Jumper show held in Alberta, Canada. Includes history, horse program, and tournament information.Held each November in Toronto. The horse show is one of many events including carriage races, performing dogs and agricultural displays. Site gives information about current fair along with results from past fairs.Hunter Jumper - Shows - United States
- Annual event in late April/early May in Augusta, New Jersey. Features the Garden State Grand Prix and Junior Amateur-Owner Jumper Division. AA rated. Includes full event information including schedule, entry form, lodging, seating and officials.Event management company sponsors hunter/jumper horse shows in California, Florida, Arizona, New York, Virginia, and Nevada. Offers six weeks of continuous events throughout the summer. Useful links to related sites. Learn about the company, the shows, job opportunities and merchandise.Information about the horse show, rodeo and stock show in Denver, Colorado.Originated in 1896. The oldest outdoor multi-breed horse show in the United States. Internationally recognized, AHSA A-rated. Held annually in May at Devon, Pennsylvania. Hunters, Jumpers, Saddle Seat, equitation, and carriages. History of show, schedule of events, qualifiers, ticket information, stable information, past results and sponsorship.A multi-discipline equestrian show in Harrisburg. Offering information on tickets, schedule, classes, prize list, entry forms, judges, and local accommodations.Listing of horse shows, events, and competitions in the south New Jersey area.The oldest horse show in the nation dating back to 1853, held in Upperville, Fauquier County, VA. Internationally known, AHSA rated. Hunters, Jumpers, breeding, sidesaddle, and ponies. Extensive information on show, rules, classes, prize monies, local accommodations, results, and links.Manchester, VT horse shows include hunter and jumper series equestrian competition in Vermont's Green Mountains including the Manchester Classic show jumping and equitation.Annual show held in October in Washington DC. International riders competing in Jumper classes, hunter classics, dressage, sidesaddle, and ponies. Complete schedule of events and timetable, ticket information, sponsors, prizes and monies, and special events.Hunter Jumper - Training
- Hunter Jumper Associations - International
- Offers membership information, news, show schedules, and rankings.
Our Mission — Serving the professional horse person, amateur owners, occasional enthusiasts and sporting interests alike, the goal is to serve all disciplines – which often act independently yet have common needs and values.
Equine Info Exchange is totally comprehensive, supplying visitors with a world wide view and repository of information for every aspect related to horses. EIE provides the ability to search breeds, riding disciplines, horse sports, health, vacations, art, lifestyles…and so much more.
EIE strives to achieve as a source for content and education, as well as a transparent venue to share thoughts, ideas, and solutions. This responsibility also includes horse welfare, rescue and retirement, addressing the needs and concerns of all horse lovers around the world.