My Account Login | Contact Us

ACTT Naturally to Hold Fundraising Event for Thor

8 years 10 months ago #330 by
Will try to make it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago #329 by

ACTT Naturally: Race Riders Roundup

ACTT Naturally to Hold Fundraising Event for Thoroughbred Aftercare

By: Michael Spector

Artist Pablo Picasso is quoted as saying: “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Valerie Buck found her gift for communicating with and caring for horses during her 27 years as an exercise rider for some of the top trainers in horse racing including D. Wayne Lukas and Todd Pletcher.

She shares her gift now by transitioning former thoroughbred racehorses to new productive careers through the non-profit organization that she founded, ACTT Naturally.

In addition to providing Aftercare Continued Thoroughbred Training (ACTT), Buck designs programs to help women struggling through difficult times to overcome their challenges and enhance their leadership skills by working with the rescued horses.

“I love it and I love the fact that I am able to share what I love to do with other people,” Buck said.

In total, Buck has 11 former racehorses at the 165-acre Long Shadows Farm in Cambridge, NY, about a 35-minute drive from Saratoga Springs.

ACTT Naturally’s programs have helped over 100 women to learn to work with and trust the horses, as they are paired together in an experiential learning environment.

Studies have shown that a wide range of conditions, such as anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder can be treated through the use of equine-assisted therapy.

By matching rescued horses with women who may have been victims of domestic violence, other forms of abuse or served in the military, ACTT Naturally is providing both a home for the horses and an opportunity for the women to move past their troubles.

To care for the horses and make these programs come to fruition, though, a great amount of financial resources are needed. Buck says ACTT Naturally needs the support of the community.

A fundraiser for ACTT Naturally will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 25 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Yaddo Horse Show Grounds on Union Avenue in Saratoga Springs.

The proceeds will help retrain retried thoroughbreds for new, productive lives. A small portion of what is raised also will be given to the Permanently Disabled Jockey’s Fund (PDJF).

Admission is $50 for one person or $90 for two and can be bought at the door.

The event also will honor Hall of Fame jockeys Julie Krone and Angel Cordero. Krone is a good friend of Buck’s and also a Board Member of ACTT Naturally.

A silent and live auction will be held featuring a halter worn by American Pharoah and a print of him winning all three Triple Crown races this year signed by trainer Bob Baffert and jockey Victor Espinoza. The event will also feature an equine fashion show with food and drinks available.

“Going forward, we want to do more. Up through this summer, I’ve been doing this pretty much on my own,” said Buck. “Month to month, I’ve been raising the money for the farm lease, to feed the horses, to pay the vet bills, but we need help. We need some money in the bank for emergency veterinarian funds and annual hay and feed budgets.”

Buck started ACTT Naturally as a “one-woman show,” as she built her barn from the ground up, cutting trees and hammering nail-by-nail to get the organization off the ground.

She has been around horses since she was 8 years old and started galloping horses in 1983 at Keystone Racetrack, and then Monmouth Park for trainer Gary Contessa. In her riding career, she galloped and exercised some of the finest horses in her generation including 1999 Kentucky Derby & Preakness winner Charismatic, 2007 Belmont Stakes winner Rags to Riches and 2010 Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver.

After suffering a broken neck on a mount in 2009 at Saratoga, Buck ended her exercise riding career and focused on learning the techniques of natural horsemanship to retrain thoroughbreds after their racing careers.

“I went to a Parelli (natural horsemanship) clinic in 2010 and it changed my life. I was so burnt out and it rejuvenated my passion for being around horses again.” Buck explained. “(I knew) what direction I wanted to go and that I wanted to share the experience with other women, because it so profoundly changed my life in so many ways.”

ACTT Naturally received its 501c3 status as a non-profit organization in December 2013. There are no fees for women who are looking to get involved with the program and no prior experience with horses is needed.

“We’d like to hold wellness weekends for women at the farm and would like to work with more women veterans,” Buck said. “We want to be able to share a lot more and would like to do more next summer.”

Buck shares her skills and gift of natural horsemanship everyday through ACTT Naturally. The fundraising event on August 25 provides the perfect opportunity for horse racing fans and members of the horse racing community to also share and give back to a meaningful cause.

For more information on ACTT Naturally and to learn about more ways to get involved, please visit: www.acttnaturally.org .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Topic Author