My Account Login | Contact Us

‘I Think It’s Because I’m A Woman’

7 years 9 months ago #871 by CLCWriter
‘I Think It’s Because I’m A Woman’: Head-Maarek Claims Gender Bias Reason Behind Split With Al Shaqab

Top international trainer Criquette Head-Maarek believes gender bias is the reason Al Shaqab Racing removed its horses from her care recently.

The Racing Post reports that Head-Maarek, who had great success with Al Shaqab's Treve, no longer will be training any of Sheikh Joaan's horses.

“I didn't have many of theirs, two two-year-olds and a three-year-old,” Head-Maarek said in the Post. “I can't tell you anything except that they called and said the horses were leaving, goodbye.”

“I think it's because I'm a woman that they didn't feel comfortable, that is all I can think. I just gather that is what it could be. I haven't spoken with the sheikh. I hope I will be able to see him if he comes over.”

Harry Hebert, Al Shaqab's racing adviser, said Head-Maarek's claim was “complete rubbish.”

“That's absolute nonsense – complete rubbish,” he said. “Criquette trained Treve beautifully and the relationship between Criquette and the sheikh and the team throughout that process was faultless.

“As far as I'm concerned that's utterly ridiculous and untrue so I'd put a line through that. Moving the horses is a private matter between Al Shaqab, Sheikh Joaan, and Criquette.”

www.paulickreport.com/news/people/think-...ind-split-al-shaqab/

www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/mme...veTabs=last7DaysNews

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More