Thoroughbred horse racing is a popular sport in California, and the state is home to some of the most prestigious racetracks in the world. The three most well-known racetracks in California for Thoroughbred horse racing are:
- Santa Anita Park: Santa Anita Park is located in Arcadia, California, and is one of the most famous racetracks in the world. It is known for its beautiful setting, its rich history, and its high-quality racing. Santa Anita Park hosts the Breeders' Cup World Championships every four years.
- Del Mar Racetrack: Del Mar Racetrack is located in Del Mar, California, and is known for its "turf meets the surf" location. It is a popular destination for horse racing fans during the summer months. Del Mar Racetrack is home to the Del Mar Futurity, one of the most prestigious races for two-year-old Thoroughbreds.
- Golden Gate Fields: Golden Gate Fields is located in Berkeley, California, and is the oldest racetrack in the state. It is known for its relaxed atmosphere and its friendly staff. Golden Gate Fields hosts a variety of races throughout the year, including the Golden Gate Derby and the Golden Gate Handicap.
- Los Alamitos Race Course: Los Alamitos Race Course is located in Cypress, California, and is known for its year-round racing schedule. It is a popular destination for horse racing fans from all over Southern California.
- Cal Expo: Cal Expo is located in Sacramento, California, and is home to the California State Fair. During the fair, Cal Expo hosts a number of Thoroughbred horse races, including the Cal Expo Derby and the Cal Expo Oaks.
- Fairplex: Fairplex is located in Pomona, California, and is home to the Los Angeles County Fair. During the fair, Fairplex hosts a number of Thoroughbred horse races, including the Los Angeles County Fair Derby and the Los Angeles County Fair Oaks.
In addition to these three racetracks, there are a number of other tracks in California that offer Thoroughbred horse racing. These include:
Thoroughbred horse racing is a popular spectator sport in California, and it is also a major economic driver for the state. The industry generates billions of dollars in revenue each year, and it supports thousands of jobs.
If you are interested in learning more about Thoroughbred horse racing in California, there are a number of resources available online and in the state. You can also visit one of the racetracks listed below to experience the excitement of live racing.