Welcome to the Equine Biosecurity Risk Calculator. The Calculator is an educational resource of Equine Guelph (University of Guelph) developed in partnership with Colorado State University and the American Association of Equine Practitioners. This tool provides information on equine health, infectious disease and infectious disease control.
Complete the questionnaire and find out how your farm rates - plus learn ways to improve the areas that are at risk. The survey takes approximately 10 minutes to complete. Please choose the answer(s) that best reflects your farm.
Information presented is for educational purposes only. It should not be used for the diagnosis or management of disease, and should never replace information from your veterinarian.
Protect Your Horse From Infectious Diseases with our Biosecurity Short Course. A great training program for you and your staff.
The Basics of Infection Control This unique 'whiteboard video' is all about the basics and answers: What are the differences between bacteria and viruses? How are they spread? What can you do to prevent them?
Infection Control Resources Learn what Training Centres and Racetracks are using
- Equine Biosecurity Policies & Best Practices Guide (Alberta Equestrian Federation)
- Equine Guelph Education Programs FAAST - Antimicrobial Stewardship in the Ontario Equine Industry
- FAAST Antimicrobial Stewardship in Neonatal Management for Farmed Animal Species
- Horse Management and Biosecurity Check
- Vaccination Equi-Planner Tool
- Worms and Germs Blog (information on equine infectious disease)
- Biosecurity - Access Management
- Biosecurity - Cleaning Infosheet
- Biosecurity Education and Training
- Biosecurity - Hand Hygiene Infosheet
- Biosecurity - If your horse is sick Infosheet
- Biosecurity - Traveling Horse Infosheet
- Biosecurity - When & How to Isolate
- Equine Biosecurity Poster
- Facility Design with Biosecurity in Mind
- Farm specific Biosecurity Plan
- Horse Events: Biosecurity guidelines for organizers and competitors
- Horse Health Check
- Horse Health Check (diagram)
- Horse Owners Info Sheet
- National Farm-level Biosecurity Standard
Equine Guelph thanks: Dr. Josie Traub-Dargatz and Dr. Alanna Kirby, Colorado State University, for providing content and Dr. Scott Weese, Ontario Veterinary College, for reviewing content and the American Association of Equine Practitioners Foundation (AAEP Foundation) for their support.
This article originally appeared on Equine Guelph and is published here with permission.
You can find more informative articles in our section on Health & Education.